Cheesy pasta bake with bacon & tomato
- 200g penne or macaroni pasta
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3 slices of lean bacon sliced into small pieces
- Handful of cherry tomatoes quartered
- 480ml passata
- 240ml chicken stock
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Splash of Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato purée
- 2 tsp of oregano
- Salt and pepper to season
- 120g (4oz) of cheddar
Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
Place pasta into a saucepan of boiling hot water and cook until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water to prevent from cooking further.
Add oil to frying pan and fry the onion, garlic and bacon for 2 mins or until brown.
Add tomatoes and cook for a further 5 mins
Add the passata, stock, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, tomato purée and oregano and bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Simmer, covered for about 30mins.
Add the mixture to a casserole dish, along with the pasta, mix well and season with salt and pepper and top with cheddar, then bake in the oven for approx 30mins until the cheese on top is melted and golden.
Serve with your choice of sides.